Re: Graphics software

Stephen Liu wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Thanks for your advice, effort and time.
>
> > The GIMP rocks, it only does raster-images, however it has a plugin that
> > allows you to insert (and edit) vector layers and is part of the main
> >
> distrobution................................................................
> ....... Plug-in

The GIMP is a lot like photoshop where everything is a plugin.

> > software... there is plenty for the GIMP, most of it is already with the
> > gimp already but there is some that isn't in the distrobution
>
> Kindly advise where I can download filters for GIMP with similar feature
> like Kai's Power Tools, AfterDark, etc., if possible with steps for their
> installation or advising me where to find out relevant information, as I am
> rather new to Linux environment with less than 2 months experience.

Most of the stuff that is done with these packages can be done from
within the gimp... I don't know of a plugin repository but there may be
one on gimp.org or at least a link to one.

The gimp has some photoshop plugin support, however it does not allow
the use of plugins that use .exe files (for obvious reasons).

> > For 3d.. the Blender is very good however it is much
> > unlike every other 3d modeller; however, the learning curve is worth it
> > as there is none like it currently for linux.
>
> Are there 3-D software, like TrueSpace available for Linux?

Blender is the only commercial one other then Maya. Moonlight creator is
good, although I do not know how the current version is, the older copy
I have shows great potential. It is based on a softimage-like UI (which
I LOVE) and uses many of SI's keyboard commands.  Unfortunatly a new
user who doesn't know the keyboard commands might be a little lost until
they RTFM (if there is one) or do what i did and hit every key ;)

> > Maya is also available or
> > will be available shortly. I haven't seen or used Kai's Slide show..
> > there is a Premier-like video editting suite (which name escapes me)
> > that mixed with the gimp can do slide shows VERY well.
>
> Thanks for your information re Maya.  Kai's Slide Show is for assorting
> photos to run them automatically as slide with add-in filters, narration,
> music, etc.

that premier like app will do it.. would have to search for it..  but it
would
probally be more expensive then kai's tools (200-300$) range.

> > Flash, there is a
> > linux port :) HTML writing software.. use VIM or Emacs, there is wysiwyg
> > stuff i heard but I wouldn't know (i actually KNOW html and all it's
> > extensions). For animations, use the above mentioned premier-like
> > program and/or the gimp.
>
> Flash is a powerful tool for animation on web.

http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/
There is a flash player from macromedia. There are also unsupported
players
out there but I doubt they are as good?

http://www.swift-tools.com/
This contains a Flash "Generator"  and an "Inspector" both of which are
available for Windows and Linux. This will get you on your way to
developing flash under Linux.

Are there any similar
> software for Linux?  Have you had any idea where to find information in WWW
> (for running on Linux) in this respect including HTML editing software
> similar to Hotdog, Hot Metal?

Last time  I checked those are just glorified text editors.. If you want
something with syntax highlighting VIM is great, although with a
learning curve. There are others like GXedit (with gnome-libs) which
have synatax highlighting but also provide an easy to use interface.
Freshmeat.net has many of these kinds of programs.

> > Cafe for JAVA ?? well if it is programed in
> > JAVA it will run under Linux (unless it uses MS_JAVA).
> I am looking for software like Symantec Visual cofe for JAVA running on
> Linux.  Thanks

Well, if it is programed in java it WILL.. but it's homepage doesn't
specify.
If you have a copy.. try it.