Problem with gnotepad+ 1.2.0pre1 delayed characters when typing

I am having trouble with gnotepad+ 1.2.0pre1. I had the same problem
with a slightly earlier version (which is the only other one that I have
tried).

Here is the problem: when I am root, I can open gnotepad+ and type a
document just fine. The results are displayed immediately on the page.
However, if I am a non-root user, I can open gnotepad+, but there is a
significant delay between pressing a key and seeing that character
appear on the screen. In fact, I effectively can't use it, because the
delay is so great.

What is going on? Does anyone else see this? Is there a fix?

Thanks,

Pascal
--
V Pascal Nelson