Sound broke on my system after 1.0.40

    I recently installed Gnome-1.0.4x on my system, and ever since I
restarted sound has been broken.  It worked fine until then.  What
happens is I can start esd, get the tones saying it starts up.  Then I
do esdctl unlock.  Right after that I do an esdcat, and I get
opening socket, format = 0x00001021 at 44100 Hz
/dev/dsp: Device or resource busy

    I tried reverting back to audiofile-0.1.6 and esound-0.2.13, but
that didn't solve the problem.  Other than Gnome, nothing else on my
system changed.  Can someone give me some clues as to what broke this?

Dan