Gnome building help!

I am starting the install of my new Gnome 1.053
While creating the esound-0.2.15 component the make caused the following
error...

*************
gcc -g -O2-o .libs/esd esd.o clients.o filter.o mix.o players.o proto.o
samples.o -L/usr/local/lib -laudiofile -lm /libs/libesd.so -laudiofile
-lm -lm -lasound -lm -lasound -Wl, --rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib

.libs/libesd.so: undefined reference to 'snd_pcm_capture_format'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make:*** [esd] Error1
*****************

I have made no modifications to this app which was dl'd from a reliable
source (gonome.org).
Do some of the downloads have know problems like this and I should
continue to make install or is this a show stopper. I have not tried
grabbing another copy of this app because I'm not sure if it is a
problem with the source I got or what it found on my system. I used to
do some c coding but from a Borland IDE (so I was shielded from make
file, I'm regretting it now!)
This sounds like a source file is missing to me but, I'm still trying to
come back up to speed on this.

Any ideas (maybe someone else built the Gnome 1.0.53 already)?

Thanks,
Gerald Brockman