Help: No Sound Under GNOME

Hi. I configured my sounds using sndconfig and everything went okay. I
heard the test sounds from speaker. I event configured GNOME so that esd
is running. However, I get NO sound from the speaker when I try to play
the sound events. When I launch the "ESD Volume Meter", it complains
that it "Cannot connect to sound daemon", although I know that esd is
running, because I did a ps and it says:

esd -nobeeps -as 30

Why is sound not working via GNOME? It works every place else. Event
lxdoom (Doom II) works!

Thanks.
--
Bruce W. Bigby