The industry standard

I'm new to this list, but I'm sure that this question has been bounced
around before I have brought it up. This isnt a question of "which is
better" as such, more of a question of prediction.

Would anyone like to comment on what they see will be the industry
standard Desktop: Gnome & something or KDE?

With the new artistic licence of the QT2 wigget set KDE could become far
more opensource and free for development and distribution? The main
reason I ask this question is because I would like to know what to start
developing for; GTK or QT2

Thanks for the time,
-- Joel