From: Helke Bill CP USGR EXC
Sent: Friday, November 12, 1999 8:17 AM
To: gnome-list@gnome.org
Subject: Device icons - rescan with CD insertion

Well October GNOME is fine and dandy and I love it.  However, I want my old
desktop device icons' "stupidity" back.

With this release, when I insert a CD, the device icons on the desktop
automatically rescan and refresh to include the CD shortcut (even if I
disable all CD features in the CD capplet).  Unfortunately, for my user
accounts I don't want any device icons on the desktop.  But they keep
getting put back there every time you drop in a CD.

Of course, for my root account, I DO want these icons present, and I have
customized images for the icons and appropriate labels I have created for
the drives (instead of the dumb "Disk 0" "Disk 1" and "Disk 2" - which mean
nothing).  I also want an omnipresent CD device icon for root so that it
doesn't automagically come and go when I drop a CD in or remove it.  But
alas, I've found no way to keep the CD device icon there.  As root, when I
do drop in a CD, of course we get the handy rescan and all of the icons
revert to their default images and labels and the CD icon magically
reappears only to disappear again on eject.  Arrgh.

Previous releases allowed me to customize my device icon images and label
them properly without the insidious rescan on CD insertion.  How can I
disable this "smart" but very annoying functionality in October GNOME?

Sincerely,

William F. Helke
bill.helke@cp.novartis.com