insufficient resources on Solaris

Last night I finished building Gnome, Enlightenment
on my SPARCstation 20 across a frame relay line from a
SPARC Voyager at my home.

I thought I would just try "panel&" and it worked. From
it I started up the help browser and the
gnome-terminal.

This morning I come in to work and finish building
gnumeric. Then I try to run it and I get:
"Gdk-ERROR **: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
 Gdk-ERROR **: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
   serial 52 error_code 9 request_code 55 minor_code 0"

I then try the panel and I get the same output. I try
the gnome-terminal; same output. My workstation has
more than enough memory, virtual memory, etc.

So is it that I must actually be running a Gnome window
manager (such as Enlightment) locally to display
locally, but that output can be sent to remote X
displays with window managers such as CDE on my
Voyager?

-Robert Lopez