Configuring GNOME

Hi!
   It's Nicolas Conde again, but this time I've got the
'config.log' file, created while trying to install the
tarball glib 1.2.5 on Caldera OpenLinux 2.2.
   It looks like this:

This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a
mistake.

configure:634: checking for a BSD compatible install
configure:687: checking whether build environment is sane
configure:744: checking whether make sets ${MAKE}
configure:783: checking for working aclocal
configure:796: checking for working autoconf
configure:809: checking for working automake
configure:822: checking for working autoheader
configure:835: checking for working makeinfo
configure:951: checking host system type
configure:972: checking build system type
configure:992: checking for ranlib
configure:1022: checking for gcc
configure:1135: checking whether the C compiler (gcc  )
works
configure:1151: gcc -o conftest    conftest.c  1>&5
/usr/i386-linux/bin/ld: cannot open crt1.o: No such file or
directory
configure: failed program was:

#line 1146 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

main(){return(0);}

That's the file. Now can anyone help me to install this
tarball?
Thanx a lot.

Nicolas Conde - iomi@xoommail.com