my sessions get screwed over

I am using RedHat 6.0 with many 6.1 RPMs installed. yesterday I installed
gnome-core 1.0.54, gnome-libs 1.0.53 and Enlightenment 0.16.2.

of course, it looks/works great. many thanks to all involved.

however (there's always a "however" :) ), session management doesn't work at
all like it's supposed to work.

when I log out and log back in, the system 'forgets' on which virtual
desktops my windows used to be -- it all lumps them into the first one.
sometimes, it also forgets what size some of my windows were.

the problem seems to be progressive; when I delete the .gnome/session file,
then start gnome-session, log out (saving the session), and restart
gnome-session, there is a large chance everything will turn up the way I
left it.

however, the more often I log out and back in again, gradually things
deteriorate, until none of the windows is be in their original positions
anymore.

I'm sorry if this is a FAQ; I quickly skimmed the October Gnome archives but
couldn't find any reference to this particular problem.

thanks in advance for your helpful replies :)