Re: File manager tree. [FEATURE REQUEST]

>From: "Kenneth Christiqua" <kenneth@ripen.dk>

>     (*)    Create, when starting gmc for the first time
>
>             a folder on the desktop, with the different devices + the
>             'add device' guide (.desktop file)
>
>             a folder called 'favorite apps' with .desktop files fot the five
>             most popular linux apps
>
>             a folder called 'linux support' with URLs to slashdot, lwn,
>             freshmeat, gnome, the gnome mailinglists, and a
>             'report gnome bugs' guide app (using libglade)

I've been thinking about something like that for a long time. A handy folder
with favorite apps would be nice, but I am not sure if that should be part
of midnight commander. Such a system should detect which apps are installed
(just like the gnome-menu), and should have the option to auto open this app
launcher window. This program would be configured from ~/Applications/,
since this would be obvious for even newbies to change. To add a program to
this 'Launcher' thingy you would just drag apps to it. Finally, such a app
launcher would support multiple panels, just like the Mac OS's Launcher
control panel.

I think this is a good idea, since some people dislike the gnome menu and
would prefer to have their favorite programs in a simple organized tab like
folder.

I hope you understand were I coming from.

One more suggestion: A simple file mode (optional) for non-root users,
hiding the complexities of FFS from newbies. This would work via. a striped
down version of gmc and would contain only a few buttons, and would only
show the user's directory and nothing else. It would be centric around the
users directory, and would not let the newbie know about anything but his
directory-- IE. in this file manger view file:///home/someuser/joeblow.html
would become user://, just for simplicity sake.

Obviously, this view mode must be easy to turn off, since many users would
not like it after a little bit of linux experience.