Dependancies

Hi all,

One of things (I'm talking from a limited experience here) users tend to
hate is working out what depends upon what, and then installing packages
in the correct order. GTK, Imlib, Auto*, gnome-libs, etc., they can all be
depedant or be dependacies.

If someone was to create a program (or script) to download latest
packages, maintain patches (including keeping the previous version in
case the latest doesn't work), and then try to configure, make and make
install then, in the right order, could one do it?

I'm thinking of the problem of getting gnome easily installed. KDE I
believe has a simple script. Perhaps Gnome could have a GUI version for
user-friendliness, but console-driven for those without, say, GTK?
In essense, a GTK-GUI to drive a console script or executable to maintain
and update gnome and dependancies.

Problem is, how to tell if, say, Gnome-core suddenly requires a newer
version of gtk, then d/l it, and so on. Other than using precompiled RPMs,
it could be difficult for those who want to use bleeding-edge tarballs
(like me).

Any ideas?

--
James Green