Re: gnome-terminal vs. vi

Paul Barnfather <plb@clanger9.demon.co.uk> wrote:
+-----
> Running gnome-terminal on Solaris 2.6, GTK+1.2.3 and gnome-libs-1.0.9
> with Brandon Allbery's patch.
>
> Full screen apps like `vi` and `more` seem confused about the terminal
> screen size. For example, on a 24 line window, vi seems to think there
> are something like 50 lines, and so the top of the screen appears beyond
> the top of the window.
+--->8

The problem here is that gnome-terminal exports $LINES and $COLUMNS into
the environment --- with incorrect values ($COLUMNS is okay, $LINES is
65 in my experience --- with a real window size of 24).  curses tends to
believe $LINES before even the TIOCGWINSZ size (IMHO incorrect, but...).

--
brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   allbery@ece.cmu.edu