Re: Gnumeric/Guile/Python

On 25 May 1999, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > Is it possible to store python or guile program in *.gnumeric file
> > rather then in a separate file? Imagine the possibility --- delivering
> > python code in a form of spreadsheet file with no need for
> > installation of any kind.
>
> No, there is no way to do this.  And for now I have no plans on doing
> this.  Until we fully understand the implications of potential viruses
> transmited by this medium, I do think this is not a good idea.

If guile or python code is limited to changing the current sheet only
and not modifying files or templates then there is no oppurtunity
for it to spread.

It is Microsoft's broken security model that causes secruity
nightmares such as Melissa, not the concept to embeddable code
itself.

Regards,
Damien Miller