Re: gnome-name-server starting twice

{ Elliot, we are discussing slow startup of gnome, and the fact that
  gnome-name server is launched N-times and only the first is kept,
  but it causes unnnecesary trashing }

> 	  I grep'ed for "gnome-name" on ~/.gnome/session and /usr/share/gnome/* and
> couldn't find where gnome-name-server is started, or why it is started twice.

It is started by the libraries on gnome-libs/libgnorba.

Now, we *could* do the following thing:

	1. If there is no name-server running, gnorba would set an X
	   property that would say "I am starting up name server",
	   with some sort of sequence number, as a "serial-stamp"

	2. If the property "I am starting up name server" is set on
	   the X root window, we would wait a few seconds, say, 3, and
	   retry step 1.  If time-stamp has not changed we do launch
	   it ourselves, and increment serial-stamp.

best wishes,
Miguel.
--
miguel@gnu.org