From: Christian Lavoie [mailto:clavoie@enter-net.com]
Sent: Monday, May 24, 1999 2:22 PM
To: Dr Geek
Subject: Re: The State Of The Art

> >(Stand in the middle of a sphere, and have a plane perpendicular
> >(which represents the screen) to your field of view go away from you
> >on a radius of the sphere, the last point would be right in front of
> >your viewpoint, where the center of the window is, so all else would
> >be before that point, from your perspective.)
> Hum - I hadn't thought of using real 3d, partly because of the CPU
needs,
> partly because 3d interfaces are a whole other ballgame.  I was just
using
> the sphere conceptually; the part of the sphere that you could see
would
> always be flat and up "against the glass" of your monitor (like a
spherical
> balloon pushed up against a flat surface).
> Otherwise all your windows need to be distorted, and therefore become
> unreadable.
> dr g

1) Actually, I thought that only the center of the window would be on
the sphere, preventing distortion, the window being flat... the
corners of that window would actually rest on another hypothetical
sphere's edge.

Without true 3D, I think it'll be hard to present a small model of the
sphere anyway.

2) True 3D apps are becoming easier in today's world with more
powerful computers. Whether or not you go for a real 3D environment
depends on the goals of the project, though I think you should aim the
higher you can. When 2d flat UIs first started, the CPUs were on their
knees too. Let's just say you'd be writing the standard for computers
in 5 years from now.

3) 3D Environment are crap today, I have to agree. Though I don't
think this is because the idea itself sucks. Only the implementations.

Christian Lavoie
clavoie@enter-net.com
UIN: 947212