running a launcher

Greets,

I was wondering if anyone (i know several people probably have) has
setup to launch quake2 from the gnome panel.  Normally from an Eterm I
can do

/usr/local/games/quake2/quake2 +set vid_ref softx

and it'll run fine.  However, if I make a launcher in the panel to run
that it fails.  I even tried making a launcher to run Eterm -e
/usr/local/games/etc....
but that fails as well, flashing an eterm up for a second and then
dying.  Is it something in the way the panel launcher code wraps around
commands that's keeping this from working?

-Brian