gnome-session does not save settings

A rather unusual occurence here on my SuSE 6 laptop.  When I use
enlightenment or windowmaker using gnome-session, I can add launchers or
drawers or the pager or whatever, but none of the settings are saved when I
exit.  This only happens using gnome-session to launch things.  On my suse
desktop this does not happen at all.  Other than this, the latest suse rpms
from www.gnome.org work quite well.

When I exit from the x session, gnome says a file with a certain name was
not found in my $HOME/.gnome.  I think that that this is the file that gnome
wants to find to save settings.

Any ideas on this one?

--
Michael Perry