Help! Can't get GNOME to start

When I try to execute gnome-session (by .xinitrc) I get this Error:

---
Unable to connect to server port 35091
This generally means that the program could not talk to the esound
server

Gdk-ERROR **: an x io error occurred
aborting....
---

I'm using SuSE Linux 6.1 which contains GNOME 1.0
I have a i386 (PII266) and I didn't set up any hardware yet.

I hope someone can help me.
 DarkUnicorn

darkunicorn@graffix-productions.com