Re:compiling under gnome

>Daniel Weber [5/14/99 4:58 AM]:
>I need to recompile a gnome app and I'm not sure how tostart.  I've
>downloaded all the files from CVS that are listed in the faq, but I'm
>not sure how to setup the system to compile.  Do I need to define
>anything before compiling?  Where's a good place to look for information
>on re-compiling the standard gnome apps?  Sorry if this is the wrong
>list for this....

As long as you've got a C compiler (maybe also C++ and objective C depending on the package you want to compile) and make installed on your system, doing the following should work:

$ ./configure
$ make
$ su -c 'make install'  -> this to install as root

and that's all. Maybe you need extra packages, such as byacc or sed, but those are usually installed in a default installation.