Re: Gnome Terminal wont exit

Patrick Colbeck <Pat.Colbeck@esc.azlan.co.uk> writes:

> When I type "exit" in a terminal the terminal isn't destroyed it just
> sits there. You can kill it by using the window manager
> (Enlightenment). This haoppens for Gnome Terminal and RXVT
> etc. However it only happens if I start Gnome from GDM, if I use run
> level 3 and run startx with just gnome-session in .xinitrc it all
> works fine. Any ideas people ?

 This has been happening to me  as well, with  rxvts, Window Maker and
 the same setup. As far as I can tell, the terminals get confused when
 there is no parent shell from which they are launched.

 For example, if your  .xinitrc is just  an executable file with "exec
 gnome-session" in it, the terminals will  not exit.  But if the first
 line is "#!/bin/sh" then the terminals are  able to exit. By the way,
 I wonder if just putting  commands in a  file, and make it executable
 without adding  a "#!/..."  at  the beginning  is good practice. What
 are the pros and cons ?

 Does your  ".xinitrc" file start  with a  "#!/bin/sh" ?  If it is the
 case, just  use  "XSession" in the  GDM  session chooser,  and things
 should work alright...

Ed