Re: Notification services
- From: Alexander Peuchert <peuc peuchert de>
- To: Eric Kidd <eric kidd pobox com>
- cc: gnome-list gnome org, recipient list not shown:
- Subject: Re: Notification services
- Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 10:12:16 +0200 (MET DST)
I thought of such a thing, too.
As I don't have time right now( maybe in a month or so), here are my
- provide a server using gnorba with a backend and a frontend api.
- backend api for notification submitters like:
- frontend api for notification listeners
nice animation with speech and funny drawings
- notifications are classified
'web page changed'
- objects can register with the backend to provide notifications
- and objects can register with the frontend to listen for notifications
On Wed, 5 May 1999, Eric Kidd wrote:
> Like most Linux users, I run lots of software at once. Some of this
> software wants to notify me of various events. My mail program needs to
> tell me when new mail arrives. My IRC client needs to get my attention
> whenever somebody asks for help on a certain channel. Other programs need
> to report errors.
> The syslog mechanism works fine for system events. But no equivalent
> mechanism exists for user events.
> Would it be worthwhile to create a standard API for getting the user's
> FAQ: Frequently-Asked Questions at http://www.gnome.org/gnomefaq
> To unsubscribe: mail email@example.com with
> "unsubscribe" as the Subject.
http://www.peuchert.de ( not very interesting yet ;-) )
] [Thread Prev