gnome-libs 1.0.9 and control-center

I'm using RedHat 6.0 and the included gnome rpms.  I wanted to update to
the new gnome-libs and gnome-core, hoping that the gnome panel would be
able to swallow apps (something I haven't seen it do for a long time).

I rebuilt gnome-core and gnome-libs as RPMS, using the spec file in
their tarballs.  I had to make remove default.session from the
gnome-core .spec to make it build, so it's no longer a config file,
thats ok.

However, now that I've upgraded gnome-core and gnome-libs control-center
no longer works.  Any capplet I try to run gives the following error:
** WARNING **: Unable reach the control-center.
Exiting...

If I revert to Red Hat's gnome-libs 1.0.8, control-center starts working
correctly, but applets won't show up on the panel.

Any advice?  Any specific debugging that would be useful?

Thanks
MSG