gnome-terminal title starts "blinking" on window switches

After some hours of using several gnome-terminals with E, the top
title bars will invariably start to "blink" when I switch active
windows with alt-tab. That is, whenever I use alt-tab to switch
into a gnome-terminal window, the title bar graphics will rapidly
oscillate between active and inactive statuses before settling down
on the active status. This bug appears to be otherwise harmless, but
pretty annoying.

What I have found so far:
* the bug only occurs with gnome-terminal: xterm, emacs, netscape,
   and all other applications seem to be immune.
* the blinking effect only affects existing windows. If I make a new
   gnome-terminal window after the blinking starts, that window does
   not blink when switched into.
* only alt-tab triggers this effect; clicking on a window to make it
   active does not result in the blinking.
* the bug does not survive E restarts, which leads me to believe the bug
   is at least part E's fault.

What I have *not* found so far:
* I have not used other window managers long enough to see if they are
   susceptible to this bug.
* I have no idea what specific event triggers this bug. I don't do
   anything particularly unusual with my Linux box.

I am running the RPM distribution from 4/14. I generally tend to run
several gnome-terminals, a kterm, an emacs window or two, and sh*tloads
of Netscape windows which are mostly iconized. E is in click-to-focus mode
with the BrushedMetal theme.

Shimpei.

PS As long as I am at it, how do I do a "full reset" on a
gnome-terminal? Right now, I'm SOL if I manage to spew the wrong kind
of escape codes onto a gnome-terminal, whereas an xterm can easily
recover with a full reset. The manual does not mention such a feature,
but it also looks pretty incomplete.

--
Shimpei Yamashita               <http://www.submm.caltech.edu/%7Eshimpei/>