Re: Isn't it time for a newsgroup^H^H^H^H digest?

   > I would like to comment that I find a mailing list much more convenient
   > than a digest.  With a mailing list, I can scan all the subject headers
   > and read what I want to read.  With a digest, I get the same amount of
   > mail but it's difficult to wade through.  With a mailing list, I could

Typically, the digest is just a collection of the messages sent to
the "real" mailing list, with a convenient header at the top.

   I don't think adding methods of retrieval would make the old ones go away.
   Afterall, there are programs that can maintain a link between a mailing
   list and a newsgroup.  A digest can be sent to those who would rather have
   one mail per day than the flood from the list, but the list would continue
   anyway.  Newsgroups would just offer faster turn-around than digests and
   don't clutter up my mailbox. I'm not in any way suggesting that they
   replace this mailing list.  They could just be added as an interface.

A good mailing list needs all three.  I just think that the digest is
easier to set up than a newsgroup and more useful.

Newsgroups are unreliable.  With a digest you know that you'll get the
complete set of messages, eventually!

Mark