Re: Instabilities in GDM

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Ben Rockwood wrote:

> I've found some problems with GDM... namely that once in a great
> while when someone exsists their account and GDM brings X backup
> for the gdgreeter, X will choke and the box hangs with no video.
> This is the first way I've found to "crash" Linux.  If I had
> a network I wouldn't worry about it, and I'd just telnet in and kill
> the X server, but I don't.
> 	Anyone found a work around?  Also, on the RHAD Labs page
> acouple days ago someone (Dr.Mike Ithink) said he was cleaning up
> and debugging GDM... is this one of the bugs?

I don't believe it's a gdm bug, but an X bug.  XFree86 seems to lock on
startup occasionally on certain hardware.  (I have seen it more often with
Matrox cards).  It's rare and it took many months before it happened to me
the first time.  If you have XF86 3.3.2, try getting 3.3.3.  It seems to
lock about half as much.  And I think the entire machine is locked - not
just the video (if we have the same problem).  ctrl-alt-del doesn't work.

Does anyone know any more about this?

-- Richard Thrapp