Panel behavior

I've found ways to make the panel always stay on top, or below the
windows on my desktop.  But what I can't seem to make the panel do is to

be below a window if I start up a program that would cover it, then have

the panel come to the front when I click on any part of it.  The reason
this is good for me is that I'm running GNOME on my laptop which only
has an 800x600 display max, so I don't have much desktop space and many
programs cover the panel if I leave it on stay below.  If I leave the
panel set to stay on top a lot of programs become partially blocked by
the panel...

I've also notice many GNOME programs open far too big for an 800x600
display.  Maybe people shouldn't design programs assuming people are
running in 1024x768 or larger...

Thanks,
Steve
begin:vcard