performance problems with gmc v.28

There seems to be a performance problems when I use gmc.  All my home
directories are mounted from NFS, and when GMC first starts up, it takes
about a minute or so to get the home directories scanned and so forth.

I think for large systems, with large user base, (ie universities or
corporate offices) gmc might have a problem with scaling.

Maybe what might be better is to have another miniserver to keep track of
the filesystem hierarchy, and then maybe have gmc query the server to get
information on demand. This would give us speed at the expense of
overhead.  Determining the amount of overhead is going to be difficult as
it really depends on how you implement the server.

Another idea is to have this mini-server be a corba object so that any
program that requires a lot of scanning of the filesystems could use it as
a backend.

	sri

Sri Ramkrishna         /|\ Unix is very user friendly, its just very picky
email: sri@aracnet.com -|- on who it is friendly to. -- Unknown?
phone: 503-356-1078    \|/