Re: newbie user problems with panel and gmc

   Hi Fredrico,

> >  o) gmc has twice _completely_ crashed my system from userspace.  Since gmc
> >  is threaded I think gmc is actually tickling either a glibc or kernel bug
> >  in its thread implementation.
>
> GMC is not threaded.  I wonder how you came to this conclusion.

  I claim ignorance then.  It has still twice left my machine completely
frozen and unable to start new processes.  I don't mean the console froze,
I mean inetd couldn't spawn a telnetd when I tried to log in over the
network.  This is gcm running in userspace from a normal account, I wasn't
logged in as root.

> >  When this happens, not only do I lose my console, but the system
> >  refuses to spawn new processes.  This prevents me from logging in
> >  over my net and safely shutting the system down.  Interesting thing
> >  also: gmc often just crashes outright leaving a core dump on my
> >  desktop (love that yellow bomb :-) ), but often when I try to
> >  delete the core dump by right clicking and selecting delete it just
> >  crashes gmc again leaving me with another bomb.  Hell, just
> >  _breathing_ on gmc seems to cause application crashes.
>
> Are you running the pixmap theme?

   Once I was, the other time I was running BrushedMetal.  Should I change
to the clean theme?

Thanks for your response!
J. Maynard Gelinas