Re: GMC Feature Request

I have allways thaught that left drag should prompt.
For most people, left click is the only button used... So,
having it always prompt allows them to know what they are doing.
Middle click should be the excelerator key so power users can do things
quickly.

Here would be the setup:
there would be a capplet to chose which buttons do what...

        1 2 3   Handedness     Accelerator     copy move link
prompt  X 0 0                  copy  X     shft  X   0    0
accel   0 X 0   X Left         move  0     ctrl  0   X    0
context 0 0 X                  link  0     alt   0   0    X

There would also be a "D&D" menu:
X Copy
0 Move
0 Link

This would allow the user to quickly confingure which mode the accel key
is in.

These would be the defaults

If you drag something with the prompt button (button 1) it would prompt
the user. This would be good for most users.
If you drag something with the accel button, it does whatever is set up
for the accelerator. The accelerator could be chosen from a menu on gmc or
a submenu on the context menu.
If you use the accelerator button with the keys described above, it would
force whatever action associated with the key. For example, if you hold
shift while accel draging, it would force a copy.

Also the mouse cursor should change for each mode, so you can visually
know which mode your in.

This setup would allow new users to know exactly what they are doing
because of the promting, and the power users to speed things up...
Also it would allow the end user fully customize it to fit there needs.