Re: panel

On Sat, Mar 27, 1999 at 05:40:00PM -0500, Edward Dunagin was heard to say:

> On Sat, 27 Mar 1999, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Mar 27, 1999 at 02:53:45PM -0500, Edward Dunagin was heard to say:
> > >
> > > when i try to run panel as user or root it crashes on me.
> > >
> > > here is the gdb traceback:
>
> *********************snip***********************
> >   Are you sure that it's crashing?
>
> well it really won't come up. i get this error:
>
> [root@bbs /tmp]# panel
> panel: error in loading shared libraries
> /usr/lib/libpng.so.2: undefined symbol: __bzero

  Yeah, that's not a crash; that's stubbornly refusing to even begin execution..
  ;-)

> > It looks like it's not even running.
> >
> >   Do other programs that use libpng work?
>
> help me out here. how do i tell what other programs need libpng to
> work?

  At a guess (from dpkg --no-act --remove libpng2)

wmaker, imlib1, enlightenment, dox, gnuplot, xacc, zgv, afterstep,
imagemagick, gs-aladdin, xemacs, eterm, tetex-bin, xaos, wmglobe, xteddy, gimp,
gnucash, wmakerconf

> > Where did you get libpng from?
>
> i could give you some guesses but <sigh> :-)

> > What libc are you using?
>
> libc-5.3.12-28

  Eek!

  Did you compile libpng and the panel yourself? (I suspect you didn't because
usually library loading problems don't happen if you compile the code by hand)
It's almost certain that most precompiled libraries out there are compiled
against glibc2 by now.

  I think libc5 is generally out of date these days, but if you really want to
use it, you can probably get things working by compiling the code from scratch.
I haven't tried on a libc5 system though, so I don't know how much success
you'll have.. :-)

> > I don't have any specific clue what's going on, but you
> > definitely have a library mismatch somewhere.
>
> any suggestions?

  Upgrade libc (ranges from easy to almost impossible depending on your
distribution) or compile stuff by hand.  Maybe someone else can give you
a more helpful suggestion...

  Daniel

--
  "People would panic?"
  "Very briefly, I'm afraid."

     -- The dangers of colliding with a star examined;
           Terry Pratchett, _The Light Fantasic_