Re: Problems by greping the archive

Harald Maier wrote:

> Hello,
>
> when I try to grep the archive I get the error below. It seems that
> the "latest" directory contains to much messages. Does anybody know a
> workaround or does anybody know from where I can get the archive as a
> tar ball.
>
> Harald
>
> egrep 'cde.*login' latest/*
> BEGIN---------------cut here------------------
> ../.bin/arch_retrieve: /bin/nice: Argument list too long
> END-----------------cut here------------------

I just issued the command 'archive ls latest'. The reply was a
directory listing, truncated after 512 names. The filenames are simple
numbers beginning with 1.
Th number 10000 is a mail from march 6 while the latest listed with
the name
10457 is dated march 11. So, with a bit of arithmetic avaluation it
should be possible to get a number for the first date you want. I
would then try a wildcard filename like e.g. latest/32??? which would
limit the number of files to 1000.

Henning