Re: Status of gnomeoffice components ?

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Daniel Persson wrote:

> since the subject Gnome Office was brought up - whats the status of its
> components ?
>
> Is the baboon alive and kicking ?

We have Bonobo instead now, Miguel is almost done with it. In the next few
weeks we will start component-izing applications.

> and, does anyone know if the ABIword people are going to make their product
> Gnome-compliant ?

It doesn't look that way, but they have 90% of code shared between Windows
and Unix frontends, leaving only around 6,000 lines of platform-specific
code last I checked. That means you should hopefully be able to do a Gnome
frontend in a weekend, copying most of the Gtk frontend, once you know
your way around the code. If no one else does it first I'll think about it
once AbiWord is at 1.0 or close to. However, the real value of the port
would be Bonobo support, and that could be simple or very, very hard
depending on how their code is written.

> it would be nice if someone could make a summary of the status of the
> components.

I was just talking to Miguel about this. We are probably going to
set up a web page and mailing list for "Gnome Office"; even though we have
the components now, there's no "official" office project or list of
components.

Here is what we have:

Word Processors: gwp, go are Gnome-native. AbiWord could be ported.
                 All three are promising. If we get bored Maxwell
                 could be ported too. :-)
Spreadsheet: Gnumeric is pretty sweet.
Database:  gnome-db module in CVS seems very far along.
Presentation: Achtung project, mostly nonexistent at this point
              but a major hack-fest is scheduled.
Plot/Chart: Guppi has tons of code, I think it is pretty cool. :-)
            However it mostly has 2D XY plots, the "easy" charts
            like bar/pie need work.
HTML: We should use the componentized Mozilla, also useful for the help
      browser. A matter of waiting for Mozilla to finish.
Vector Drawing: GYVE, maybe?
Image Viewing: ee
Image Editing: A Gnome/Bonobo frontend for Gimp is the obvious thing,
               though one should talk to the Gimp guys first.
Other: We also have Dia, which could be a Visio replacement in our suite.
       I think someone is doing a Gnome frontend. Oh, GnuCash could
       be considered part of an office suite too, like Quicken.

We really have a lot of "stuff," just need to organize it and do the
Gnome/Bonobo frontend when appropriate. Eventually maybe do a
"distribution" of all of "Gnome Office."

Havoc