Re: KDE and GNOME question...

> From: Steve Gusz <sgusz@PaineWebber.COM>

> Ok, please don't flame me.  I'm new to this whole KDE and GNOME thing.
> Will KDE apps run under GNOME (such as Koffice)?  Will GNOME apps run
> under KDE?

The wonders of the layered X windows system.  *Everything* that runs over X runs
over X.  KDE, FVWM, GNOME and enlightenment are just prettifying middle men as
far as your average application is concerned.  If everything is installed
correctly, apps for each of them will run happily under all the others.

I run KDE and Gnome and Enlightenment on my SPARC/Solaris system.  Generally, I
live in Gnome/Enlightenment, so I have 3 Menu buttons on my Panel.  One is the
standard Gnome foot menu.  One is a KDE menu, and mimics the "K" menu.  And the
3rd is a CDE menu and is formatted as the CDE Application Manager.  I can select
from any of these and have that application pop up.

If you like this idea, I describe how it's done and provide the scripts
necessary to build the menus at:

	http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/6565/kdecdegnome.html

Since doing that page, I've changed the simple KDE "cog" icon on it's menu to
one I stole from Slashdot ;O)  I've also upgraded to KDE 1.1, and rebuild the
menu by re-running the script.  That's all it took.

Have fun,

-------My opinion - Not sane, intelligent or necessarily useful-------
o o                                      mailto:Moredhel@earthling.net
/v\ark R. Bowyer.  http://i.am/Moredhel  mailto:Mark.Bowyer@UK.Sun.COM
`-'  "That weenie's avoiding me!" - Scott McNealy about i.am/BillZebub