Re: Question about New RPMs

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Richard Caldwell wrote:

> I see from the web site that there are new RPMs up.  Can anyone
> tell me whether these RPMs require glibc 2.1?     I started to
> install glibc 2.1 RPMs  to use the Gnome RPMs that require it
> only to find that the glibc-devel RPM requires 2.2.1 kernel
> headers.   So basically I would end up having update my whole
> system to use those RPMs.

The binaries require libc.so.6, which is the soname for both glibc 2.0 and
glibc 2.1, and they don't care what version of the kernel you are running.
The development RPMs are more picky (as you have seen).  You can easily
use GNOME without upgrading your whole system, it's just development
using the devel RPMs that's the problem.

If you are looking to do development for GNOME I'd suggest you not bother
with the RPMs at all, and use the tarballs or CVS.  That way you don't
have to upgrade your whole system, and you have more flexibility.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef