Re: ICEWM and Gnome logout
- From: Gleef <dzol virtual-yellow com>
- To: Kay Molkenthin <molkenthin okay net>, Mathieu Petit-Clair <darkmoon colba net>
- cc: gnome-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: ICEWM and Gnome logout
- Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 15:19:00 -0500 (EST)
On 23 Mar 1999, Kay Molkenthin wrote:
> > "Mathieu" == Mathieu Petit-Clair <email@example.com> writes:
> > exec icewm &
> > exec gnome-session
> > At least, this works for me, using E.
> That worked for me too until I updated to latest gnome :-(
> In my .xinitrc I have:
> exec esd &
> exec icewm &
> exec gnome-session
Ack! Don't use multiple "exec" lines. The "exec" command means
"replace this shell script process with the command given". The "&"
operator means spawn the command in the background. The construct
"exec foo &" tells it to both replace the script and return to it, which
is contradictory and can lead to unpredictable results.
Two good rules of thumb:
* Don't use "exec" and "&" on the same line
* Don't expect any command after an exec to run
My next point is that, if gnome-session is working properly, you shouldn't
have to run your window manager in the .xinitrc script. Gnome-session
should start your window manager automatically. You both should be able
to get rid of your "icewm" lines.
Best of Luck,
] [Thread Prev