Re: gnome compliant window managers

On 21 Mar 1999, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> I am also curious what other OS distributors (Debian, FreeBSD, etc)
> have done in terms of dependencies between the various gnome packages
> and WM's. Have you made gnome-core dependent on a specific window
> manager, or have you found some more clever solution?

I think the Debian guys have decided this is broken. :-) Jim Pick
suggested writing a little "window manger selector" application which
would be the default "window manger"; it would then exec a window manager
and hopefully save it as the current one for the purposes of the control
panel (which may just mean for the purposes of the user's session, I
dunno).

Right now the Gnome deb's don't depend on any wm, but of course things
won't work so well unless you have one.

So basically, problem not solved but it will be, hopefully.

Havoc