Enlightenment hangs

Ok, E keeps hanging on me and makes X unusable. When it dies, I still
have the keyboard focus in the last used window, so I can work there if
I really need to. I can spawn new windows that look like they should,
but I can't use the mouse to click on anything. Sometimes I can kill the
Panel or MC and fix the problem, other times I can send a SIGHUP to E
and fix it. Usually though, I have to Ctrl-Alt-Backspace out of X and
restart. I know that E is causing the problem because I have tried Gnome
with other window managers with no difficulty.  I think that E is
somehow screwing up X's recognition of the mouse. The pointer moves, but
buttons don't work, and apps don't recognize that the pointer is in
their window. There must be something wrong with my setup because nobody
else is complaining about this.

I'm using RedHat 5.2, XFree86 3.3.3.1, E 0.15.4, Gnome 1.0, kernel
2.2.3. Both Gnome and E were compiled from tarballs. I have also tried
the binary RPM from rasterman.com with no luck.

If anyone has had the same problem and knows how to fix it, HELP! Thanks