installing gnome

Hello folks.

I'm a 2 week old newbie on linux and redhat and is just about having my
hair turned into a gray color, trying to install gnome. Im using
different log-ins for different purposes, on one I installed KDE, which
is running just fine, so the redhat is running OK.

Latest install error:

failed to open  //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

Have installed  all  necessary libs and utilities

Running Control panel and verify:
imlib 1.8-5, imlib.so.1  have permission problem  expected 0120744
current 0120777
imlib 1.8-5, libgdk_imlib.so.1

Well, hope someone have a good idea.

Niels