gnomeicu window is sluggish

Package: gnomeicu
Version: CVS 03-18-99

  Now that I have gnomeicu compiled again, I'll report this bug (it was in
my last build to but I figured it would be fixed).  Basically, gnomeicu is
unusable because while I'm connected to an ICQ server, because the interface
freezes up.  In particular, the menu vanishes and only the user-list widget is
visible; even that isn't helpful though, because it itself is pretty much
frozen.  The only indication that anything is happening is that the icons
occasionally vanish (I assume because the program is refreshing the display
and being blocked).  An strace shows it stuck in repeated selects; the
changes in the interface (icons and names vanishing and being redrawn) happen
in between the selects.  My guess is that it's blocking for input from the
ICQ server.  Wouldn't it be better to do that in a separate thread or, failing
that, attach a GTK+ input hook? (if you've done that already and it's
malfunctioning, my apologies. ;-) )

  Daniel

--
Perhaps it is true that computer programs and mathematical equations, like
art or nature, have their own intrinsic beauty.  But who hangs the Quicksort