Session Management and default.session

Somehow, I managed to hose my system and my panel went down along with
everything else in gnome-session. Now, when I startup gnome-session I get
NO applications - just gnome-session runs by itself.
Question is, how do I get it to rever back to the 'default.session' file.
I've tried everything - I removed everything in .tmp - I removed my
.enlightenment directory, I removed my .gnome* directories - I tried
installing gnome-core from scracth. gnome-session just wouldn't revert
back to default.session.
Finally, I decided to use the control-center to 'Startup Programs'. I
stuck 'panel' in there. and it loaded up quite fine. I figured I would use
that to startup the capplets to. I can't do that apparently, after I added
'panel' I can add/remove - but when I click 'Ok' (to save changes) when I
come back I see all the capplets I added gnone and 'panel' is back. In
other words 'Startup Programs' in control-center is broken.
Any help is appreciated.