Theming problems & WM not launched

I'm having trouble using GTK themes. Firstly the only theme that
draws correctly is the original Pixmap theme (can't get other
Pixmap based themes working). Other themes such as Motif do not
draw *any* buttons, sliders, etc. When I try to install my own
theme (such as brushedmetal), I select it in the dialog box,
press OK, and the control-center locks without reporting any
errors on the command prompt. Also Gnome (gtk?) *constantly*
reports "...unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: 'menu.png'
line 319".

The other problem I'm having is that when I run gnome-session
from my .Xclients, enlightenment will not launch. Gnome panel
opens, but no WM is started. Enlightenment is set to start in
the control-panel, and it does work when run from Xterm (eg.
enlightenment *is* installed!)

I just downloaded the most recent release version of Gnome (as
well as GTK 1.2, enlightenment DR0.15, etc). I was upgrading
from Gnome 0.30. I pretty much removed all the old gnome stuff
before upgrading, as well as cleaning out some older CVS copies
of GTK 1.1.x so they wouldn't interfere.

I'm using a seriously changed RH 5. Most everything has been
upgraded using FTP from either RawHide or RH5.2.

"Help, I need somebody, help, ...anybody, help!" (beatles)

-Seth