Re: Headaches setting in

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999 08:12:12 Jon Earle wrote:

> >As to the rest of your error messages, I really can't give any other advice
> >than perhaps
> >trying a "rm -Rf ~/.gnome".  Sorry, I just couldn't tell enough of your
> >description of what
> >happened to give any better advice, but that's still better than
> >reinstalling all of Gnome, IMO.
>
> Well, the one that has me super stumped is this:  There were, at first
> install's light, a number of really nice backgrounds withing the E config
> -> A shot of the sun reflecting off a creek in the woods, a couple of
> sunsets, etc.  They are completely gone now.  Did a search on *.png and
> checked out those that I found (lots!) and they were not there.  I removed
> all the rpms I installed, and redid the whole installation - the entire
> enchilada (lots of toys now!), and the backgrounds were still not there!
> Now, this is not a crucial point, but I'm really curious as to where they
> might be, or what rpm they came from.

They ought to be under {enlightenment-prefix}/themes/DEFAULT/pix/bg*.jpg

Of course, other themes would be in other places, but these sound like the ones that
you are looking for.  :-)

> >> 2. I get lots of weird errors when I shut down gnome:  "sh: `-c' requires
> >> an argument", "Gdk-ERROR **: an x io error occurred"  \n  "aborting...", etc
> >
> >I see some similar errors when exiting X and generally don't consider them to
> >be something to worry about.  Maybe they are, but I haven't figured out how
> >errors
> >on X shutdown could be causing a problem, and all of my gnome apps continue
> >to work fine.
> >If you can't prove it's broke, don't fix it.  :)
>
> Well, I don;t know if the shutdown itself causes them, or if they are
> messages that pop up during the course of the session, and quitting X just
> reveals them.  (Console messages perhaps? If so, can I redirect them to a
> xterm window so I can watch them?)

startx >> out.txt 2>&1
Them watch that file with an xterm.  :-)  These probably aren't much to worry
about, though.

> >> 3.  If I kill the help-browser, I get a core file.
> >
> >I haven't seen this one.  Perhaps you should send a backtrace from GDB?
>
> What is the procedure for this?  I'd be happy to present this.  I've
> noticed that the first window I kill (either the fileman or the help
> browser) after opening G for the first time causes the core file.

gdb program-name core
then do a type "bt <enter>"

Jesse D. Sightler
http://www3.pair.com/jsight/

"An honest answer can get you into a lot of trouble."
         - Anonymous