Re: Super User Launcher

On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 09:57:34PM +0000, Pedro Corte-Real was heard to say:
> sudo is not su. Su lets you become root or some other user if you know
> the password. Sudo let's you exec all or just some programs as root if
> your have the right permissions and only prompts you for your own pass.

  It's also worth mentioning that sudo doesn't change PATH or HOME settings,
so your themes and prefs should be preserved..

> On Ter, 16 Mar 1999 21:18:40 Vincent Harvey wrote:
> > What is this "runas" you speak of. No runas program on my machine (sudo is su, so runas is ra?). Will it basicly run a program with root priviliges, but not AS the root user. Like, if i use "runas gnorpm", will it use my themes, and my general gnome!
>  UI choices?
> >
> > What I was thinking that a privileged user like myself, or maybe multiple users would wan't to run gmc, like with "gnome-run -s gnorpm" (-s being a switch to make it try to run it with root privilages.). This would popup a dialog box that I could ty!
> pe in the root password in. If it was right, I can get gnorpm with root privileges, and I can install programs.

  Daniel

--
There are many of us in this old world of ours who hold that things break
about even for all of us.  I have observed, for example, that we all get