Problems compiling on FreeBSD 3.1

Hi all,

Enjoying gnome 1.0 immensely on my RedHat 5.2 box at home, but getting it
going on my work FreeBSD 3.1 box is proving troublesome...

Trying to compile from 1.0 tarballs, I compiled gtk and glib OK, but with
Imlib I get:

checking for gtk-config... /usr/local/bin/gtk-config
checking for GTK - version >= 1.1.9... no

I have managed to get around this before but I can't remember how :-(
Something to do with LD_LIBRARY_PATH I think but I can't get it to work
now.

Then I get these:

checking for jpeg_destroy_decompress in -ljpeg... no
configure: warning: *** Native JPEG support will not be built (JPEG
library not found) ***
checking for TIFFReadScanline in -ltiff... no
checking for TIFFWriteScanline in -ltiff... no
checking for TIFFFlushData in -ltiff34... no
configure: warning: *** Native TIFF support will not be built (TIFF
library not found) ***
checking for gif_lib.h... no
configure: warning: *** Native GIF support will not be built (GIF header
not found) ***
checking for png_read_info in -lpng... no
configure: warning: *** Native PNG support will not be built (PNG library
not found) ***
configure: warning: *** Native PNG support will not be built (PNG header
file not found) ***
checking for libpng version other than 1.0.2... yes

I have installed all these image libraries with the /stand/sysinstall
tool, but it puts the include files in /usr/local/include which seems to
be the problem....

I also tried compiling from CVS which was even less successful. I
downloaded the glib source and ran autogen.sh:

su-2.02# ./autogen.sh

[snip script output which looks OK]

Now type 'make' to compile GLib.
su-2.02# make
"Makefile", line 549: Need an operator
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

Other information, the default install has no /etc/ld.so.conf at all - I
beleive it just searches /usr/lib and nothing else. Adding /usr/local/lib
to it and rerunning ldconfig appears to have no effect.

Hope someone can help.

	- Justin