Re: more GMC ideas

> From: Sri Ramkrishna <sri@aracnet.com>
> Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 16:58:25 -0800 (PST)
> To: "R. Steven Rainwater" <srainwater@ncc.com>
> Cc: "gnome-list@gnome.org" <gnome-list@gnome.org>
> Subject: Re: more GMC ideas
> -----
> > Hmmmm... I keep seeing lots of gnome-related messages saying
> > use the middle button for this or that.  What are we supposed to
> > do on a normal two button mouse (which is what I assume 90% of
> > us have!).  Are there some sort of keyboard-equivalents to get
> > "middle-button" actions on a two-button (or one-button) mouse?
>
> I thought of this, and I reasoned that the windowmanager would figure
> out what constitutes a "middle button" request.  Sometimes it's the two
> buttons pressed simultaneous.  Is it GNOME's job to figure this out or the
> windowmanager?  I say it's the window manager.
>
>         sri

No, it is the X server's business...

Go look at your favorite server's documentation on how to
tell the X server to synthesize a third button out of the
two you have; it isn't ideal (buying a 3 button mouse is better),
but it is alot better than nothing.

But don't cruft up the window manager for it; the semantics should
be tied to what the server is telling you.
				- Jim Gettys