Re: good review of 1.0

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Todd Graham Lewis wrote:
> Miningco has a good review of GNOME 1.0.  Personally, I think that most
> of his criticisms are fair.
>
> After having had my head stuck in GNOME-space for a year and a half,
> it has been refreshing for me for the past two weeks to see outsiders
> taking a look at GNOME and saying what they think.  It's really important
> to listen to these evaluations and take them seriously.
>
> Please don't go flaming this guy.

Agreed, it was an excellent article. The only thing I didn't get was the
comment that Gtk is slow to redraw, because it simply isn't on any of my
computers and they are all crappier than his test machine by a good
margin. My guess is that both that and the memory leaks were from the
pixmap themes.

It probably wouldn't be too hard to write modules for extensible WM's like
scwm and E which would load Gtk themes and use them to draw. That would be
pretty cool and address one of his biggest complaints (besides the bugs).
Of course Gnome is pretty nice with the non-theme WM's too, I simply don't
use the panel most of the time since it's redundant with windowmaker.
icewm lets you turn off its taskbar and is very nice with Gnome in that
mode.

Havoc