Re: Root Permissions

I agree that its important for users to be able to install rpms without
hitting the command line. In fact, I believe that in the future there
should be an even easier way to get packages from the net onto a GNOME
system.

Id like to see a tool that enables a user to not only install a new
package but make a launcher for the application on the gnome desktop,
either in the main menu or on the panel. Something along the lines of a
windows "install shield" installer but done cleanly and with more
flexibility.

There needs to be a way for a kid to download an rpm package from a web
site, mabe a cool new game or whatever's interesting, and be able to
install it without su'ing to root, doing an rpm install, and playing with
gmenu to get a launcher. The kid would like something simpler, a single
tool that will do the job of installing the package and integrating it
into the current environment.

And being able to install an rpm with the DnD method described below would
be a big first step.

-FDS