.xinitrc .Xclients

This is just something I am curious about.  I put exec gnome-session in
my ~/.xinitrc file, and it works fine.  I was just wondering what the
difference between the .xinitrc, .Xclients, and .Xsession files?  Also,
when I have a local version of these files, does it run the global one
also, or completely bypass it?  I ask because there is a lot of crap in
the global files, and if I don't run them, will it matter?  I apologize
if this is a moronic question, or if it is posted in the wrong place.

Ryan D. Lewis