esd sound problems

I'm hoping I'm only missing something simple and stupid on this:

I can't get the sound to work with GNOME 1.0 (under enlightenment
DR15).  In particular, the sound effects don't work or play, the extace
wavform display and the volume meter give errors that it cannot connect
to the sound server.  E also cannot have sound enabled saying it cannot
find EsounD.  I made sure ESD is loaded properly (at least it has a
proper process id) and even killed it and restarted it with a different
options, but no luck.  Gnome and E and the other apps still say they
can't connect to the sound server.

My sound card is configured properly; I can record and play wave files
at the very least.  Wavplay and Wavrec and even esdplay all play sound
properly (when esd is not blocking the /dev/dsp).  I can play CD's and
run the mixer to control the volume... but no extace or volume meter or
action sound effects.

mike!

P.S. I'm using Redhat 5.2  I checked the archives and learned a thing or
two but nothing that solves the problem.